The Lagan Riverfront has played and will continue to play a pivotal role in the development of Belfast. It has fuelled the industrial, social and cultural development of the city providing opportunities for trade and commerce, land for port development and more recently opportunities for enterprise development, learning, recreation and tourism.
Titanic Quarter is uniquely placed within the city centre to provide continual access to the river as it emerges from the city, is configured as docks, quays and slipways before becoming harbour then lough then sea.
The destination contains several buildings and sites of national and international significance which are testament to its rich ship building heritage, including the Thompson Graving Dock, the Titanic and Olympic Slipways, and buildings such as the magnificent Harland & Wolff Drawing Offices, where numerous ships were designed including Titanic.
Titanic Quarter is a natural extension and part of the city centre as the city grows and embraces its riverfront. Past and present, the Destination has demonstrated that it has a global offer, recently enhanced by the performance of Titanic Belfast, voted the World’s Leading Tourist Attraction 2016.
Through harnessing both our historical and contemporary industrial maritime assets, attributes and associations, Titanic Quarter has much more to contribute in supporting the city centre to reach its full potential. Our journey has just begun.
To read more about the development company Titanic Quarter Limited and the Titanic Quarter Masterplan click here.
photo credit – Skyline Aerial
The Port of Belfast
A key stage in the development of the port was the purchase by the Ballast Board of the privately owned quays – Donegall, Cunningham’s, Hanover, Chichester and Merchants – to create a publicly owned harbour. The Ballast Board was reconstituted as ‘The Belfast Harbour Commissioners’ under the terms of the Belfast Harbour Bill of 1847.
The new Victoria Channel was opened in 1849, with Dargan’s Island being created from this new cut in the river. Later to become known as Queen’s Island, it was to become the only pleasure park in the town. A crystal palace was built there and the Island continued to be a park for the people, who visited in their droves during the public holidays of the time. It remained a park until such time as Harland and Wolff began in 1882, to lay out four new ship building berths, it would soon to become the world’s largest shipyard.